Thursday, December 8, 2011

How long can you have a negative balance before the bank closes your bank account?

I have a negative balance of about -$40 in my bank account currently. I haven't talked to the bank about it yet and I wasn't planning to. I get paid this Friday and I am wondering if they will close my account before Friday because of the negative balance?|||They won't close your account. Technically, you owe them money, and banks will hound you to death to ensure that they get it. And, they will charge you a penalty for having a negative balance, too. Your account will remain open until this is resolved, so you have to contact them. Some banks would take the money from your pay check (assuming you have direct deposit), but most others will just keep the balance on their records - and keep charging you interest and penalties until you talk to them and resolve the issue. And they'll just keep on charging you - for years even, if you don't get this resolved.





Don't wait - they'll just keep charging you for this. Talk to them ASAP and get it resolved.|||" if I notice they keep charging I'll just talk to them about it."


And they will tell you the charge structure you are supposed to know.

Report Abuse


|||"if they will close my account before Friday"





No, but they will probably hit you with daily overdraft fees; as high as $30-40/day.|||Depends on the bank.





Sometimes they charge you extended overdraft fees after 3 days, after the initial overdraft|||1. Not psychic. What bank?


2. You should ask the bank.

No comments:

Post a Comment