Monday, December 12, 2011

How should unearned income be shown on a balance sheet and income statement?

Suppose that during a given year, I receive payments of $50,000. During this year, $30,000 of these payments have not yet been earned. Should the $50k go as revenue on my income statement? Should the $30k go as a liability on my balance sheet? How should I represent all of this in the liability section of my balance sheet?


Thanks in advance.|||When you received the money, you


Dr Cash $50k


Cr Unearned revenue $50k





At year-end, pass this adjusting entry:


Dr Unearned revenue $20k


Cr Revenue $20k





This will leave your unearned revenue acct with a $30k balance. This goes under current liablilities in the balance sheet. Your income statement shows revenue of $20k

No comments:

Post a Comment