Thursday, December 15, 2011

How to balance romance and adventure into a novel?

I recently just finished the 2nd draft of my first novel in a 7 part series and now I'm embarking on the 2nd novel and my question is how do you balance romance and adventure so that there isn't more then the other. I want it to be evenly balanced.|||It's tough, most authors will tend to lean towards one or the other. When I write I tend to play to my strengths and prioritise adventure and horror while using romance amongst other things to help flesh out the story and the characters to make the reader care.


If you want a balance of each then the most obvious thing to say is try and devote a similar amount of the text to both. I suppose if you divide it up into adventure and romance scenes it is going to feel disjointed so make an effort to blend the two (it'll read more naturally that way as well).


Without knowing what you are writing I don't really know what more to tell you. Good luck with your novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment